Legislation Updates Archive
Fair Tax Amendment proposal: The proposal failed to pass on Election Day, with 55% of voters voting NO, and 45% voting YES. This will create an estimated $1.3 billion gap in funds that the governor had hoped for, as well as a potential loss of $5 billion in federal COVID-19 relief funds that might not materialize. Although revenue has been $2.2 billion higher than had been projected, this leaves the state with a $3.9 billion shortfall which may need to be addressed with a 6.5-15% cut in departments and services.
Redistricting: The legislators serving in the 102nd General Assembly will play a role in the once-in-a-decade process of drawing new boundaries for Congressional districts based on population shifts and census results.
Ballot Counting: The State Board of Elections certifies the results from local elections on December 4th.
Leadership Changes: The members of the 102nd General Assembly will officially elect the Speaker of the House, the President of the Senate, and the Minority Leader for each chamber. A Senate Republican caucus has informally selected Senator Dan McConchie, while House Minority Leader Jim Durkin has secured a majority of the votes of his caucus. Senate President Don Harmon is not expecting a challenge, however, there are a number of voices calling for Mike Madigan to resign his role as Speaker of the House, primarily due to an ongoing investigation, and his lack of leadership in promoting the Fair Tax Amendment proposal.
Failed Retention of Supreme Court Justice Thomas Kilbride: has not happened in the 65 years since Illinois adopted the retention process. The vacancy will be filled by the Supreme Court.
- Check out an IL SAMPLE BALLOT in advance so you can research your choices: https://ballotpedia.org/Illinois_Sample_Ballot
- The Fair Tax Amendment is on the ballot. See full report for more details.
News Highlights from SUAA
- Since the 2019 Fall Meeting, thanks to SUAA’s efforts, the state deposited $35 million into the College Insurance Program (CIP) to pay some of the backlog of medical bills for providers of community college retirees.
- Approval of the election of the new President, Treasurer, and representatives from Regions 1, 2, and 3.
- View Full Report for more details.
- Remember to vote!
- The federal fiscal year is October 1 to September 30. Government shutdown could occur if Congress doesn’t pass a funding deal soon.
News at State Level Highlights
- State budget passed. Budget is heavily reliant on federal assistance because of revenue lost to COVID-19 restrictions on businesses and social interaction.
- The Governor has been promoting the Graduated (Fair) Tax Amendment that will be voted on in November and hopes to change the Illinois constitution which currently has a flat income tax.
- Link to October 2019, HCAA Legislative Committee Report
- Link to September 2019, HCAA Legislative Committee Report
- Link to June 2019, HCAA Legislative Committee Report
- Link to April 2019, HCAA Legislative Committee Report
- Link to February 2019, HCAA Legislative Committee Report
- Link to November 2017 Legislative Report
- Link to May 2017 Legislative Report
- Link to March 2017 Legislative Report
- IEA Legislative UPDATE (3/17/17) can be viewed from the IEA website here.
- Link to February 2017 Legislative Report