A Response by Representative Lou Lang to Tribune’s Call to Ignore Unconstitutional Aspects of “Pension Reform”
Read this short but interesting piece here.
SUAA Position on Legislative Reform and Bill Comparison After due deliberations, the SUAA Executive Committee decided yesterday to adopt an official legislative position on pension reforms now being considered in the State Legislature. SUAA maintains opposition to SB 1 and supports a compromise bill such as SB2404 in its present form. While recognizing there may by constitutional issues involved, SUAA understands the necessity of compromise. SUAA is closely monitoring the status of related legislative activity. SUAA will keep you informed as legislation continues to evolve. Click here to read the comparison of the Six Simple Steps Plan (IGPA) and SB 1 and SB 2404 (comparison prepared by Northern Illinois University).
SB2404#2 Passes Senate with a Vote of 40 to 16
Check the votes for SB 2404 #2 here. This bill will now pass over to the House of Representatives. SB 1, House Amendment 3 is now in the Senate, and SB 2404, Amendment 2 is in the House. It is unlikely that either Chamber will accept the other’s proposal. The actual bill may change as cost-shifting is again becoming a facet of over-all pension reform.
Latest from the Capitol
Union negotiations with Senate President Cullerton has resulted in the resurrection of SB 2404. This was released on May 6. Read the SUAA Mini Briefing here.
NEW ALERT! SB 1 House Amendment 001
Senate Bill 1 House Amendment 001 passed as amended with short debate through the Personnel and Pensions Committee this morning (05.01.2013) with 9 yeas and 1 nay vote (009-001-000).
Look for quick advancement in the House then back to the Senate for concurrence. Click here to read the SUAA Mini Briefing ALERT on SB 1 House Amendment 001. If you have not made your call to your State Representative to SAY NO to SB 1, do so immediately!
Your Media Picks – submitted by HCAA members for HCAA members
Looking for a good book, a thought-provoking movie, an article chock full of information, or a media-rich website? See what your colleagues are recommending, or share your own “find” by submitting this online form.
- Title: HealthTap (click on linked name to go directly to site)
- Media: Free app for Android users
- Recommended by: Anonymous
- Teaser: HealthTap connects millions of people around the world with the most trusted health information and doctors. Receive personalized answers to your health questions, daily health tips, and other reliable health information from HealthTap’s network of over 36,000 U.S.-licensed doctors – all for free! Learn more about how HealthTap works here.
This site has been created to help you:
- locate understandable assessments of what is happening in Springfield with regard to your pensions
- get to know HCAA members
- keep track of HCAA social and business events via an online calendar
- learn “hot off the press” information that will keep you up to date on information that may affect your retirement
We hope you enjoy your visits here and find the information useful.